Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Dryer Sheets Toxic?

Yesterday when I was home for lunch, I heard Asher coughing and ran to see what was the matter. He had a dryer sheet in his mouth. I remember reading somewhere in all the handouts we got about puppy health that dryer sheets are toxic to dogs, so I grabbed it out of his mouth right away. Then I went online to check to see how toxic they really are, and if anything further needed to be done. What I found out was shocking to me (though it shouldn't be).

Dryer sheets have been known to cause kidney failure in dogs who ingested them. Yikes! But the really scary part... dryer sheets are chock-full of harsh chemicals, that are toxic not only to dogs, but humans! (And not just if you eat them). Dryer sheets and fabric softeners are full of chemicals and perfumes that are made to stick to your laundry... which means when you wear clothes that were dried with dryer sheets, you have all kinds of harmful chemicals being absorbed into your body and wafting up into the air you're breathing. Is the extra softness really worth it? No. Not to me.

Here are some common chemicals found in dryer sheets and fabric softeners:
  • Benzyl acetate: Linked to pancreatic cancer
  • Benzyl Alcohol: Upper respiratory tract irritant
  • Ethanol: On the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Hazardous Waste list and can cause central nervous system disorders
  • Limonene: Known carcinogen
  • A-Terpineol: Can cause respiratory problems, including fatal edema, and central nervous system damage
  • Ethyl Acetate: A narcotic on the EPA's Hazardous Waste list
  • Camphor: Causes central nervous system disorders
  • Chloroform: Neurotoxic, anesthetic and carcinogenic
  • Linalool: A narcotic that causes central nervous system disorders
  • Pentane: A chemical known to be harmful if inhaled

Sound scary to you? It should. Now, if you know me, you know that I am very concerned about the environment and prefer to buy "green" whenever possible. But being "green" is not only good for the environment, it's good for your personal health. Case in point: don't use dryer sheets. Less harmful chemicals in the environment, less harmful chemicals in your body.

What if you can't be without that static-free "spring-fresh" smell and soft feel? There are alternatives! Instead of using dryer sheets or fabric softeners you can:

  • Add 1/4 cup white vinegar to the wash cycle or 1/4 cup baking soda to the rinse cycle (but if you use vinegar, don’t also use bleach as this can be a toxic combo).
  • Opt out of the dryer and hang dry your garments on clothes lines or drying racks. Or dry your clothes until they are lightly damp, then hang to dry.
  • Make your own or purchase lavender sachets to throw in the dryer.
  • Buy eco-friendly laundry detergents, fabric softeners and dyer sheets, such as Seventh Generation or Method (my personal favorite... sold at Target!).

I was relieved after reading this information that I already use non-toxic Method fabric softener. And I will be disposing of my remaining dryer sheets... I'm not risking the chance of them being eaten by our little puppy! I hope this information is helpful to you as well... but don't just take my word for it... look into it yourself and see if you like what you find.

Sources: SixWise.com, greenlivingtips.com, amystodghill.greenoptions.com

No comments: