Tuesday, April 8, 2008

ND Democratic Convention

On Friday afternoon, my mom and I drove up to Grand Forks to go to the North Dakota Democratic Convention at the Alerus Center. When we finally got there and parked in the parking spot that was furthest away from the doors, we caught up with Brian, Adam & Rachel in line.
Then we waited in line for about 2 hours, fearing that we may not be able to get in before the speeches started. Luckily, it was a very nice spring day outside.


We got in the doors just as Obama was beginning his keynote speech. (I'm sure his advisors told him to wait til we got in there to start, since we are very important people.)


Then we got some better seats when Obama was done, and someone passed us this Hillary sign. It made for a good picture and a good souvenir. Then we waited, and waited, and waited. The "wave" went around the Alerus Center about 20 times because we were all bored waiting. Clinton's plane was late so she couldn't get there on time. But, I was impressed to see that when she walked in the door (we could see behind the stage from our seats) she was all smiles and even waved at me (and the thousand other people in my section).



I was glad at the end of the night to be able to hear both candidates speak, even though we didn't leave the Alerus Center until about 9:20pm (about 5 hours after we got there).




After the speeches we went to downtown GF and had some food (finally!) and drinks at the Toasted Frog. They had yummy sweet potato fries.
Overall it was a very long night, but well worth it (though I'm glad I didn't come at 6 in the morning like some people). I am very hopeful for the 2008 elections and am excited at the possibility of one of these candidates becoming the next President.




No comments: