Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Rhubarb Crisp = Yum!

Last year I transplanted a rhubarb plant to my garden from my mom's yard. And boy, does that thing grow! This year, the plant was getting so big that it was covering up a couple of my hostas, so I decided it needed a trim.


So I went out and cut off everything that was either dead looking (and put in the compost pile) or ripe looking (that came into the kitchen with me). Then I found a recipe on kraftfoods.com for Rhubarb Crisp. It was so surprisingly good, that I'm going to share the recipe with you a la Pioneer Woman style.


Ingredients needed:

4 cups rhubarb, cut into pieces (I used an approximation); 1 cup sugar; 1 1/4 cups flour, divided; 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar; 1/2 cup quick-cooking oatmeal; 1 stick butter, melted and cooled.

Preparation:


Combine rhubarb, sugar, 1/4 cup of the flour, and cinnamon. Put in greased 9x9" baking dish. (I used an 8x8 dish).



Combine remaining flour, brown sugar, oatmeal & melted butter. (It calls for quick oats, but I used regular ones and it still worked).


Sprinkle oatmeal mixture over rhubarb. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.

Serve and enjoy! Then wait for the rhubarb to grow back and make some more!


No comments: