Monday, July 23, 2007

Hello New Shoes, Bye-Bye Blues?

I believe myself to be a shoe person. Whenever I am in a place that sells shoes, I must look to see if there is something that catches my fancy. And of course, there is usually a pair or two that I assure myself would be fantastic on my feet. But alas...they don't have my size. Or alas...they don't have the right color. Or most likely, alas...they don't fit!
I have a hard time believing that I have such disfigured feet that shoes should not be expected to be made to fit them. I have normal feet. They're not huge, nor are they tiny. They're not really narrow, nor are they very wide. So why is it that only skater shoes feel tailored to my foot? (Side note...my all-time favorite shoes were my blue Etnies...so comfy, yet they look particularly silly with a dress.)
So many lovely shoes to look at on the shelves, yet I know how the story goes. They feel fantastic in the store, they don't hurt when you wear them around the house, and then as soon as you take them to the streets, your feet are crying in pain. Why does this happen every time? My tried and true brown shoes are looking past their prime...way past. So I am on the hunt for replacements. My advice: if you find a fantastic pair of shoes, spend the extra money upfront and buy two pair! I wish I did.
Today I put on a fabulous looking pair of fancy new brown wedges. They looked great. But by lunch time, I could barely stand to have them on my feet. Why oh why did it happen again? I am convinced that fancy shoes are parallel to point ballet slippers. They look beautiful on the outside, but are evil foot-destroyers on the inside. I just don't know how the ballerinas do it. Do other women just have feet so calloused that it doesn't hurt to wear feminine shoes?
For now I will keep to my marshmellow-like Croc-wannabes and flip flops until I learn the secrets of bearing the pain of beautiful shoes.

P.S. I still love the optimism of Paolo Nutini's "New Shoes"

1 comment:

skidoggy said...

I just signed up to tell you your shoes look great!