Thursday, June 7, 2007

Jellies

When I was about six years old, I had a pair of purple sparkle jelly shoes. They were my favorite shoes and I wore them all summer long. I went through a couple pairs of jelly shoes, but I remember the purple ones best. (And yes, I believe I probably wore them with bright pink scrunchy socks at one time or another.) They are a sweet memory of childhood.
And it made me smile to see jelly shoes return to the store shelves. Until I found them in the Women's shoe section. I was not sure what to feel...the little girl inside me wanted to try them on, while the rest of me was a little confused at why any grown woman would want to wear them.
Shoes made completely out of plastic would be uncomfortable, probably make squishy sounds when you walk, and can not possibly leave you with clean or dry feet at the end of the day. So why did I see a grown woman wearing jelly shoes out on the street? It is the idea that 80s fashion is back in style? Or are women simply trying to bring back pieces of their childhood?
I can not be sure, but I'll keep smiling at the tiny jelly shoes on the shelf as I am on my way to the big-girl shoes.

No comments: