Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Planting Cactus

Last weekend Eric gave us a cactus to plant in our garden. I finally planted it today. It seems quite odd to me that a cactus would grow in MN, but apparently it can. (Though I'm sure it will die in my sad excuse for a garden). So I dig up a nice size hole and get ready to plant. The cactus seems pretty fragile, so I try to figure out the best way to grab it and tip the pot upside down, like I do with other plants, to get it out and into the hole I just dug. So I grab the cactus.
Yes, I'm not proud to say it, but I foolishly grabbed onto a spiky cactus with my $1.99 cotton gardening gloves. And now my finger hurts from being stabbed by a prickly plant.
I felt like a dog that just stuck it's face in a porcupine's butt: astounded that I could be so dumb.
So what did I learn? Well I learned not to grab a cactus. But how to plant a cactus? I still don't really know what the proper way is. I just covered it with a big mound of dirt and kind of pushed it into the hole. I don't think that's the right way, but at least it's in there now. So I guess we'll see how that goes.

2 comments:

DAD said...

That is cool. have a nice day and don't prick yourself anymore.

Kari said...

If it makes you feel better, I would probably do the same thing.